Friday, April 9, 2010

Madness

Is it odd that probably my favorite quote from Hamlet is: 

 "Lord, we know what we are, but/ know not what we may be." (Act 4. Scene 5)

Spoken by the mad Ophelia.

Obviously there are tons of quotes from this play that we always hear :To be or not to be, that is the question, etc.

But I really like what Ophelia was saying there. Because we can recognize what we are in this moment, but can we every really know what we can become, what we can accomplish, what we can influence? 

PS. Since I am writing my paper on the differences in the portrayls of Ophelia in Branaugh's version and the version with Mel Gibson, here are her two scenes of madness from the two films. 

Which is your favorite portrayal? Which one makes you feel like she is truly mad and makes you feel more when you watch it?

Gibson version with Helena Bonham-Carter:

(Start at the seven minute marker)



Branaugh version with Kate Winslet:
Winslet's version is much longer as Branaugh put the ENTIRE play into the film.



Part 2 after Laertes comes back











.
.
.
.




Personally I loved the Kate Winslet version better. I just found it more haunting and pitiable. I felt like Helena could have done an AMAZING job, but it just didn't do it for me. I was kind of disappointed. When kate is cracking up in that second video it is totally unsettling and sad.

You make me swoon kate, with you amazingness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love! (I'd love if you did)